Sr Firmware Engineer (Embedded Software) - Katy, TX
More info on what Patterson-UTI is hiring for:
With over 30 years of industry experience, MS Directional holds an established presence in most major producing onshore oil and gas basins and is a leader in onshore directional drilling in the United States.
The Sr. Firmware Engineer will be responsible for detailed software requirements, specification and development based on the overall system requirements. Should be self-driven and work with minimal supervision. Need to coordinate work with the multidisciplinary team to deliver product in a timely manner with high performance. Will maintain an awareness of the current performance levels of company equipment and identify and act on opportunities for improvement. Must be passionate about continuous improvement of MWD/LWD systems.
The Sr. Firmware Engineer works under the direction of the Engineering Project Manager.
- Maintains communication with technical staff and field operations to be proactive in identifying performance and failure trends during field testing
- Identifies opportunities for technological improvements or modifications to the Company’s tools and equipment and submits recommendations for new R&D projects
- Works with management to create a priority list for projects and to create implementation plans for improvements identified
- Assists in preparation of project plans, schedules, budgets, and status reports
- Lead embedded software design and engineering activities in development of downhole tools including technology selection, architectural analysis, design validation and verification testing
- Uses Industry recognized software development methodology for agile development, testing, and continuous archiving of the software using software management system
- Interfaces with multi-disciplined team members for software and hardware interface design, scientific algorithm development and software implementation
- Modify existing products to incorporate new technologies and functional or reliability improvements
- Provides technical support for manufacturing, testing, and production of downhole tools
- Assists and/or checks the work of technicians and less experienced engineers
- Maintains complete and comprehensive records in approved Document Management System for all R&D projects including project documents, code base, development environment, testing methodology, test results and analysis
- Travels to field locations as needed to monitor tests of new equipment
- Monitors and provides technical guidance during field tests, provides instruction and training for field personnel with appropriate documentation and test results
- Assists other departments in diagnosing field failures as required and recommends solutions
- Carries out all responsibilities in accordance with relevant quality policies, health and safety policies, procedures and work instructions
- Other duties as assigned
- Understanding of downhole tools and technology for oilfield services preferred
- Proficient in understanding electrical schematics and component datasheets
- Able to use basic electrical debugging instruments like DMM, Scopes
- Proficient in high level languages like C, C++
- Familiar with using SMS tools like GitHub, Azure DevOps or similar
- Ability to evaluate simulation and test results for design iterations and product improvements
- Effective time management, organizational, presentation, and strong written and oral communication skills
- Project management skills including risk identification and mitigation planning
- Must demonstrate a high level of professional integrity and demeanor
- Able to effectively make technical recommendations, decisions and manage change requests
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical (preferred) or Software Engineering or related field
- 5+ Years Embedded Software development experience
- Experience with microprocessors (including DSP) based electronic system design, testing, and product support
- Proficient in developing Embedded software from ground up in C and C++
- Experience with hard Real Time software development using Real Time Operating System
- Master’s or PhD Degree in Electrical, ECE or Software Engineering or related field
- Experience with MWD/LWD tool design, maintenance, and operations
- Experience with Scientific algorithm implementation and testing, such as Motor control, digital filter, and etc.
- Experience using LabVIEW, MATLAB
- Experience with using Test Driven Methodology
Work is primarily in a climate-controlled / office environment with minimal safety/health hazard potential. The employee is regularly required to sit, stand, or walk with occasional lifting (overhead, waist level) from the floor, bending and frequent near vision use for reading and use of computer, telephone, and other office equipment. Occasional travel to other Company offices and field locations, often in remote locations may be required during normal field operating conditions (day/night, outdoor hot/cold weather), an employee will be expected to properly use designated personal protective equipment (PPE).
This opportunity from Patterson-UTI is available in Katy.
The below are factors that tend to matter for our listing seekers. This listing with Patterson-UTI offers:
As positions vary, please confirm details with employer.
Patterson-UTI has indicated that these are the requirements for the listing:
- 5 Years Experience
- Valid Certifications
Requirements may not be comprehensive. Confirm w/employer.
Patterson-UTI provides expertise and scale in major operational areas as well as a diverse network of drilling and pressure pumping services, directional drilling, rental equipment and technology. They are dedicated to delivering results so that their customers can embrace new possibilities and growth.
Read more on Patterson-UTI Jobs
Ready to apply?
Interested in this lead from Patterson-UTI? It’s time to take action! Click the buttons below for the methods you can apply to this job and follow the instructions provided. Good luck!