Floorhands / Roughnecks Needed in Oklahoma Region
What Patterson-UTI is Hiring for:
The Floorhand assists the Motorhand, Derrickhand, and Driller in day-to-day rig operations. Major responsibilities include general maintenance and cleaning, checking the rig and equipment, and assisting in drilling activities. The Floorhand is responsible for making drill pipe connections and tripping pipe in/out of the drilling hole.
Key Relevant Tasks
- Frequently lift and place slips weighing approximately 150 pounds with another person during the tour work shift
- General upkeep of the rig and drilling floor; includes regular sweeping, shoveling, cleaning, painting, washing of equipment and related housekeeping duties
- Use iron roughneck, slips, and tongs to properly handle and connect / break sections of drill pipe
- Assist in rig moves: help with rig-up / rig-down, nipple up and down blowout preventers, assist with general assembly and maintenance and help prepare new location
- Regularly check rig and equipment for any problems and safety issues
- Assist with inspecting, slipping and cutting drilling line
- Responsible for picking up and laying down tubulars, attaching or detaching pick- up lines, and the hook up and tear out of flare and degasser lines
- Assist Motorhand with preventative maintenance and repairs of equipment and motors, pipe, and off-loading materials as well as checking / changing oil and coolant on engines
- Assist Derrickhand with watching and maintaining shakers, mud pits and pumps
- Wear required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) at all designated times which could include but is not limited to: hard hat, safety glasses, coveralls, work gloves, respirator, and hearing protection
- Inspect safety equipment and PPE for wear and replace as needed
- Maintain spatial orientation and awareness to safely move around work environment with many moving objects
- Work in a heavy industrial environment which includes working around constantly moving overhead machinery, being in close proximity to loud equipment and handling potentially hazardous chemicals
- Take initiative and work independently during downtime
- Support other crew members by carrying supplies, ensuring compliance with safety procedures and other additional tasks as assigned
- Work with an emphasis on safety for themselves and others including coworkers and third parties
- Other duties as assigned that may be outside of this job description
- Ability to stand and walk while wearing steel-toed boots and PPE for a minimum of 3.5 hours and up to 12 hours without being able to sit
- Able to repetitively climb steep stairs and be able to lift and carry 50 pounds independently while walking on uneven surfaces
- Must be comfortable working at heights (50 ft. or greater) for extended periods of time
- Able to stay alert and focused up to 12.5 hours while performing repetitive and routine activities
- Able to bend, stoop, kneel, twist, and crawl throughout the tour work shift
- Prior experience or ability to use heavy-duty handheld and long-handled tools
- Demonstrate clear communication skills including ability to read, write and speak English as well as understand and promptly follow verbal and written instructions in English
- Clear vision to judge near and far distances to maintain awareness of, watch, and report ongoing work activities to coworkers and third parties
- Able to have accurate recall over short and long-term memory
- Able to work closely with others in the confined area of the drilling rig and may live together in crew quarters
- Willing to travel to and work in remote locations on a rotational schedule which consists of 14 days on / 14 days off, working 12.5 hour shifts that can include days or nights and as well as weekends and holidays
- Willing to work mandatory and unscheduled hours outside of your assigned schedule with little or no advanced notice
- Must be willing and able to attend and successfully complete classroom training and testing to qualify for a rig assignment
- Able to successfully meet pre-employment testing requirements which may include, without limitation, pre-employment drug and alcohol test(s) and background checks as well as drug and/or alcohol testing periodically during employment (subject to state and federal laws)
This position requires the person to work outdoors for an entire tour work shift in all kinds of weather conditions, including precipitation, cold / heat, high wind, and turbulent conditions. They will be exposed to the typical conditions of the local area where the rig is located. Southern states generally experience hot summers where temperatures range from 80° to low 100° with high humidity; winters have temperatures that generally do not go below 20°. Northern states generally have hot summers with similar conditions and have cold, windy winters, with low temperatures that can be as cold as -40°.
The Floorhand must work with an emphasis on safety for themselves and others including coworkers and third parties. They must be able to work closely with others as they will work together in the confined area of the drilling rig and may choose to live together in crew quarters. hey must be willing to work a hitch which consists of 14 days on / 14 days off, working 12.5 hour shifts that can include days or nights and as well as weekends and holidays.
- One (1) year stable related work history (e.g., farming, ranching, construction, heavy equipment or other trade) or military service (unless requirement is waived by Regional Vice President and Regional Human Resources Manager)
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 6+ months of experience working on a rig-based position for drilling contractor
This opportunity from Patterson-UTI is available in El Reno.
The below are factors that tend to matter for our listing seekers. This listing with Patterson-UTI offers:
As positions vary, please confirm details with employer.
Patterson-UTI has indicated that these are the requirements for the listing:
- 18 Years Of Age Or Older
- Some oilfield experience
Requirements may not be comprehensive. Confirm w/employer.
Patterson-UTI provides expertise and scale in major operational areas as well as a diverse network of drilling and pressure pumping services, directional drilling, rental equipment and technology. They are dedicated to delivering results so that their customers can embrace new possibilities and growth.
Read more on Patterson-UTI Jobs
Ready to apply?
Interested in this lead from Patterson-UTI? It’s time to take action! Click the buttons below for the methods you can apply to this job and follow the instructions provided. Good luck!