Floorhand / Roughneck South Texas Region
What Patterson-UTI is Hiring for:
The Floorhand assists the Motorhand, Derrickhand, and Driller in day-to-day rig operations. Major responsibilities include general maintenance and cleaning, checking the rig and equipment, and assisting in drilling activities.
The Floorhand is responsible for making drill pipe connections and tripping pipe in/out of the drilling hole. This is an entry-level job that provides initial introductory training and substantial on-the-job training.
- Lift and place slips weighing approximately 150 pounds with another person frequently during the tour work shift
- General upkeep of the rig and drilling floor; includes regular sweeping, shoveling, cleaning, painting, washing of equipment and related housekeeping duties
- Clean and general upkeep of the rig and drilling floor; includes regular painting, washing of equipment and related housekeeping duties
- Use iron roughneck, slips, and tongs to properly handle and connect / break sections of drill pipe
- Assist in rig moves: help with rig-up / rig-down, nipple up and down blowout preventers, assist with general assembly and maintenance and help prepare new location
- Regularly check rig and equipment for any problems and safety issues on an ongoing basis
- Assist with inspecting, slipping and cutting drilling line
- Responsible for picking up and laying down tubulars, attaching or detaching pick- up lines, and the hook up and tear out of flare and degasser lines
- Assist Motorhand with preventative maintenance and repairs of equipment and motors, pipe, and off-loading materials as well as checking / changing oil and coolant on engines
- Assist Derrickhand with watching and maintaining shakers, mud pits and pumps
- Wear required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) at all designated times which could include but is not limited to: hard hat, safety glasses, coveralls, work gloves, respirator, and hearing protection
- Inspect safety equipment and PPE for wear and replacing as needed
- Maintain spatial orientation and awareness to safely move around work environment with many moving objects
- Work in a heavy industrial environment which includes working around constantly moving overhead machinery, being in close proximity to loud equipment and handling potentially hazardous chemicals
- Take initiative and work independently during downtime
- Support other crew members by carrying supplies, ensuring compliance with safety procedures and other additional tasks as assigned
- Other duties as assigned that may be outside of this job description
- Ability to stand and walk for a minimum of 3.5 hours and up to 12 hours without being able to sit and while wearing steel-toed boots
- Able to repetitively climb steep stairs and be able to lift and carry 50 pounds independently while walking on uneven surfaces
- Must be comfortable working at heights (50 ft. or greater) for extended periods of time
- Stay alert and focused up to 12.5 hours while performing repetitive and routine activities
- Bend, stoop, kneel, twist, and crawl throughout the tour work shift
- Prior experience or ability to use heavy-duty handheld and long-handled tools
- Ability to safely lift and carry 50 pounds independently and repetitively climb steep stairs
- Demonstrate clear communication skills including ability to read, write and speak English as well as understand and promptly follow verbal and written instructions in English
- Clear vision to judge near and far distances to maintain awareness of, watch, and report ongoing work activities to coworkers and third parties
- Able to have accurate recall over short and long-term memory
- Able to work closely with others in the confined area of the drilling rig and may live together in crew quarters
- Work with an emphasis on safety for themselves and others including coworkers and third parties
- Willing to travel to and work in remote locations on a rotational schedule which consists of 14 days on / 14 days off, working 12.5 hour shifts that can include days or nights and as well as weekends and holidays
- Willing to work mandatory and unscheduled hours outside of your assigned schedule with little or no advanced notice
- Must be willing and able to attend and successfully complete classroom training and testing to qualify for a rig assignment
- Able to successfully meet pre-employment testing requirements which may include, without limitation, pre-employment drug and alcohol test(s) and background checks as well as drug and/or alcohol testing periodically during employment (subject to state and federal laws)
- 6 months stable related work history (e.g. farming, ranching, construction, heavy equipment or other trade) or military service
- 6 + months of experience working on a rig based position for drilling contractor
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
This position requires the person to work outdoors for an entire tour work shift in all kinds of weather conditions, including precipitation, cold / heat, high wind, and turbulent conditions. They will be exposed to the typical conditions of the local area where the rig is located. Southern states generally experience hot summers where temperatures range from 80° to low 100° with high humidity; winters have temperatures that generally do not go below 20°. Northern states generally have hot summers with similar conditions and have cold, windy winters, with low temperatures that can be as cold as - 40°.
These opportunities from Patterson-UTI are available in Victoria, Texas, United States.
The below are factors that tend to matter for our listing seekers. This listing with Patterson-UTI offers:
As positions vary, please confirm details with employer.
Patterson-UTI has indicated that these are the requirements for the listing:
- All Types Of Weather
- Physically Fit
Requirements may not be comprehensive. Confirm w/employer.
Patterson-UTI provides expertise and scale in major operational areas as well as a diverse network of drilling and pressure pumping services, directional drilling, rental equipment and technology. They are dedicated to delivering results so that their customers can embrace new possibilities and growth.
Read more on Patterson-UTI Jobs
Ready to apply?
Interested in this lead from Patterson-UTI? It’s time to take action! Click the buttons below for the methods you can apply to this job and follow the instructions provided. Good luck!